Finally something Austrian on my blog, namely how to make the Austrian national dish Wiener Schnitzel. I am not the biggest fan of Austrian cuisine in general, but there are some super-delicious dishes, one of them being the very typical Austrian Wiener Schnitzel, traditionally served with Potato Salad. The important thing about a good Wiener Schnitzel is that it needs to be thin, fried golden-brown and with a light, non-greasy breading. Heavenly.
Even though the original Wiener Schnitzel is prepared with veal, our version here is made with pork tenderloin.
Amount: 4 people
Cooking Time: 30 min
- 500 g pork tenderloin or veal
- 2 eggs
- 80 g flour
- 80 g breadcrumbs (TIP: you can prepare breadcrumbs yourself by putting dry baguette in a food processor. Don’t use toast)
- plenty of vegetable oil for frying
1. Cut the meat in slices and use meat mallet to flatten (meat should be around 6 mm). Put meat between two pieces of plastic warp and don’t hammer meat too vigorously as not to destroy the meat fibres.
2. Salt meat on both sides
3. Prepare one dish with flour, one with 2 lightly beaten eggs (don’t mix) and one with breadcrumbs
4. Turn meat first in flour, then dip in egg and finally coat in breadcrumbs.
5. Heat oil (2-3 cm) in a deep frying pan and when it is very hot add schnitzel.
6. Turn after 1.5-2 minutes and also fry on the other side until the breadcrumbs have turned golden-brown
7. Remove from frying pan and drain excessive oil with kitchen paper
8. Serve with the potato salad (below) and some fresh lemon.
Amount: 4 people
Cooking Time: 45 minutes
- 600 g potatoes (preferably a waxy variant)
- 60 onion, finely chopped
- 1/4 litre of beef stock
- 3 tablespoons of white wine vinegar
- 6 tablespoons of neutral vegetable oil (don’t use olive oil)
- 2 tablespoon of low fat mayonnaise
- some chives
- salt and pepper
1. Cook potatoes (be careful not to overcook them).
2. Peel while still hot and cut into slices.
4. Also add oil, some mayonnaise, salt and pepper as well as finely chopped chives.
5. Enjoy the still warm potato salad with the delicious and crisp Wiener Schnitzel and don’t forget the slice of lemon.