This dish is genius – it’s easy, tasty and provides a perfect way to rid yourself off leftovers cluttering up your fridge and larder such as boiled rice and vegetables close to use by date. My recipe for Leftovers Egg Fried Rice should be used as a rough guide and inspiration and not a set in stone recipe. There are only a few things you really need which are rice, vegetable oil, egg and soy sauce. Everything else is open to your own creativity and to whatever your fridge has to offer.
Leftovers Egg Fried Rice is also a very healthy and filling recipe and still tastes good when taken into work the next day for lunch. Do you need anything more to convince you that this dish should be incorporated into your regular recipe repertoire?
LEFTOVER EGG FRIED RICE
Servings: For 2 people as main course
Cooking Time: 10-15 minutes
- 2 cups of yesterday’s boiled rice (I use basmati), straight out of the fridge
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 shallot, chopped
- 1 cm of fresh ginger, chopped
- 1 chilli (I used a small green birdseye chilli), chopped
- a handful of mangetout
- 1 carrot, cut into thin slices (if you know how to Julienne, then do this)
- half of a small zucchini, cut into slices
- a handful of frozen peas
- a handful of bean sprouts
- a handful of cooked prawns
- one spring onion, roughly chopped
- sesame oil
- soy sauce to taste
1. Heat some sesame oil in a wok or deep frying pan and fry chopped ginger, shallot and chilli for a couple of minutes on high heat.
2. Add the sliced carrots and zucchini as well as frozen peas and mangetout to the hot pan and fry for another 2-3 minutes (don’t overcook)
3. Finally add prawns and bean sprouts for the last minute
4. Remove from pan and set aside.
5. Use the same pan/wok again to heat sesame oil on high heat and add cold boiled rice. Fry for a few minutes under constant stirring until rice starts to smell lovely.
6. Put rice to one side of the pan, pour beaten egg in the now empty side of the pan and scramble egg under constant stirring until almost done.
7. Mix rice and egg together to distribute egg nicely throughout the rice. Finally, add vegetable prawn mix and rewarm. Season with soy sauce.
8. Sprinkle with chopped spring onion and coriander before serving.
For more Egg Fried Rice Recipes, please refer to Ken Hom, Felicity Cloak, Jamie Oliver,Â and Gok Wan. Eat Noodles Love Noodles, our trusted food blogger and expert ranter, does not like Gok Wan’s recipe though, read here why.